Just two weeks shy of its finale, Sky Bet League Two saw another change for the lead as Cambridge United stormed back into pole position.

Cambridge returned to the summit with a late 1-0 win over playoff contenders Newport County. The U’s were played off the park as they were pressed into seeing just 38% of the ball, but a 79th-minute header – squeezed in by defender Declan Drysdale – was enough to push beyond their Welsh opposition. The result did no favours for Newport, who hoped to shake off the numerous clubs in pursuit of their final playoff spot.

United’s Paul Mullin drew an uncharacteristic blank but continues to lead the top scorers’ charts with 28 goals to date.

The closest side to toppling Cambridge, Cheltenham Town, were beaten by Crawley Town on Friday evening. The only goal of the game came 13 minutes from time when substitute Jordan Maguire-Drew rifled home a low effort off the left-hand upright within 10 minutes of his introduction. The shock victory saw Crawley move into 12th place, only three points adrift of the highly-sought playoffs.

In the fight for survival, Grimsby Town recorded a monumental victory over third-placed Bolton Wanderers. Grimsby, who gained good ground at the bottom of the table, were ahead within a minute through 20-year-old Jay Matete. The Mariners dominated the game and chalked up 28 attempts at goal, with Ira Jackson Jr. converting with four minutes left to double the lead. Shaun Miller struck with one of the final kicks of the match to halve the deficit, but it was not enough as Wanderers slumped to their second loss since January.

Harrogate Town earned bragging rights as they beat Bradford City, 2-1, in the Yorkshire derby. Jack Muldoon bagged his 13th goal of the campaign at the midpoint of the first half, giving the lead to Harrogate. Bradford substitute Oliver Crankshaw set up Andy Cook for the equaliser in the 72nd minute – just two minutes after coming on. 19-year-old Joshua McPake found the net right at the death to secure the win for the Sulphurites.

The weekend’s goal-fest came courtesy of Oldham Athletic’s visit to Morecambe, which ended in a 4-3 loss for the Latics. Spaniard Carlos Mendes Gomes bagged two goals and assisted a third in a display deserving of all three points. Mendes Gomes opened the scoring after five minutes and it stayed put until three goals in the final six minutes of the first half saw the Shrimps hold a 3-1 advantage at the break.

Mendes Gomes scored his second soon after the restart. Oldham rallied round and scored twice late on through Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Kyle Jameson respectively, but the point-rescuing equaliser eluded the visitors.